BACKGROUND: With a deep understanding of pageantry and symbolism, and its propaganda and psychological effectiveness, the NSDAP went to great lengths to reinforce their political party to the general populace of Germany, with repetitive slogans and the omnipresent use of the swastika. Swastikas adorned flags, banners and pennants and were utilized at every possible opportunity. Originally the State Service Flag was introduced in the Weimar era in 1921 and consisted of three horizontal bars in black, white and red with smaller horizontal bars of black, red and yellow inset in the canton with a black national eagle positioned slightly off-center. On March 13TH 1933 the first Third Reich era State Service Flag was introduced and was designated, "Dienstflagge der Reichsbehörden zur See", (Service Flag of the National Authorities at Sea), but the original designation was altered to, "Reichsdienstflagge", (State Service Flag), on June 6TH 1933. The 1933 pattern flag followed the basic design of its predecessor with three horizontal bars in black, white and red with a black national eagle positioned in the center. On October 31ST 1935 a second pattern State Service Flag was introduced and was first flown on November 7TH 1935. Regulations dictated that the State Service Flag was to be utilized by all public administrative government authorities and was to be flown on their buildings, on inland waterways and the high seas vessels and service vehicles as required. The regulations also extended use of the State Service Flag to the authorities of the Reichsbahn, (National Railways), the Reich autobahn, (National Highways), and the Reichsbank, (National Bank).
Recently found out of Florida, a rather large and well-preserved 1935 pattern Reichsdienstflagge (National Service Flag), constructed of a red cotton twill base, dyed in the centre with double-sided white discs overlaid by black swastikas highlighted with white borders, and at the upper hoist edge with government-style German national eagles clutching wreathed mobile swastikas, with a white cotton twill reinforcement trimming the hoist edge and featuring a hollow channel through which is loop a drawstring knotted at both ends for suspension. Measuring 12 ft 1/2" x 7 ft or as the Germans did it via metric 390 cm by 220 cm demonstrating only minor soiling, material fatigue and some minor wartime repair patches but in otherwise extremely fine condition.
Please call, text or email me if interested.
Email Us: email@example.com